For most people, Christmas holidays are now over, or at least on their way out. Not sure about you, but after all that holiday soul food and festive social catch ups, I’m craving fresh and simple foods! Check out this 5 day meal plan if you’re in need of a little food reboot to get you back in the swing of things this year.
This plan isn’t a “must follow”, you can substitute with any healthy ingredients you prefer, but it can act as a guide to help you get back on track. A lot of this menu is plant-based, but where we’ve suggested animal-based proteins, you can easily sub those out for vegan or vegetarian options.
We hope you enjoy this little leap into the new year!
The 5 day meal plan ‘fresh start’ guidelines…
- Include healthy fats, veggies and a little protein with breakfast (so most cereal and toast-like products are a no-go)
- Minimise refined or added sugar, or sugar substitutes (yep, even artificial sweeteners and honey are out!) It’s just for 5 days girls 😉
- Limit coffee to one per day and try to say no to milky coffees – a piccolo or little dash of your whole fat milk of choice is fine, but try to avoid large lattes or cappuccino orders!
- Minimise alcohol. Better yet, say no to alcohol all together 🙅♀️
- Limit gluten containing products
- Chose health fats as much as possible (so avocado, grass-fed butter, olive oil, etc are included, but processed options like sunflower oil, canola oil, palm oil, and any oil that’s ‘partially hydrogenated’ are out). Make sure you check the back of any packets, as nasty oils are found in most processed food products!
- Say no to sugary liquids – instead chose water, sparkling water, herbal teas and the odd black tea or coffee.
- If you need a sweet hit after dinner, try sweet herbal teas like liquorice, rose hip, vanilla, or peppermint, or indulge in one square of Lindt 90% dark chocolate (yum!)
- Vegetarians/vegans – feel free to mix up any animal protein suggested with an option you’re comfortable with, whether it’s nuts or toasted hemp seeds, tempeh/tofu, quinoa or legumes, or a rice/beans combo.
- Aim to be real, not perfect. ‘Sticking to the plan’ doesn’t mean you should try to be perfect – not at all! 🙅🏼♀️ If you slip up, thats fine…. thats life! Don’t feel guilty about it; just find your way back to the path at your very next meal or snack and keep moving forward.
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs + spinach + mushrooms + feta
Drizzle olive oil in a pan, toss in some spinach and sliced mushrooms, scramble in a few eggs and serve up with a quarter avocado.
- ***Busy gal’s brekky option: make our BUF Brinner Frittata in advance on Sunday night and it should last you for breakfast (and maybe a dinner or two) all week!
- Snack: Apple with handful of walnuts
- Lunch: Chicken salad with pumpkin or sweet potato
- Snack: Hummus and vegetable sticks
- Dinner: Salmon steak with steamed greens and a drizzle of tahini
- Breakfast: Smoothie with protein powder, coconut water or a nut milk of your choice + frozen berries (bonus points for throwing in some super greens powder!)
- Snack: 2 boiled eggs with sea salt + pepper, or a scoop of hummus
- Lunch: Turkey + avocado rolled up in iceberg lettuce leaves
- Snack: Pear or banana + handful of almonds
- Dinner: Big veggie stir-fry + half a cup (about 100g) of brown rice
- Breakfast: 50-100g plain oats + berries, Greek yoghurt + chia seeds or nuts
- Snack: 2 brown rice cakes with avocado + tahini drizzle
- Lunch: Tuna salad + avocado + olive oil/mustard dressing
- Snack: Sliced apple with nut butter on top (SO YUM!)
- Dinner: Try our BUF Rainbow Abundance Bowl OR grill any meat or alternate protein of your choice and serve with steamed broccoli + asparagus + half a cup of quinoa
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs + greens + quarter to half avocado
- Snack: Natural yoghurt + chopped banana + nuts
- Lunch: Salmon salad with lots of greens + balsamic dressing
- Snack: Smoothie with protein powder, coconut water or a nut milk of your choice + frozen berries (bonus points for throwing in some super greens powder!)
- Dinner: BUF Raw Pad Thai – you’ll LOVE this recipe!
- Breakfast: BUF Ultimate Green Breakfast Bowl
- Snack: Fresh avocado dip and vegetable sticks
- Lunch: Veggie based soup of your choice + 1 x slice gluten free toast or traditional sourdough with some grass-fed butter, OR left-over BUF Raw Pad Thai
- Snack: Sliced apple spread with nut butter
- Dinner: White fish steak of your choice + salsa + broccoli + half a cup of rice OR some roasted pumpkin or sweet potato
- Bonus Day Five Dessert: Try our Easy, Sexy Summery Strawberry Crumble
And there you have it.
Before I officially sign off from this article… theres an important announcement I’d like to finish with…
You don’t need a meal plan to eat healthy!!
But… you do need to understand food, and your body, and know how to look at any menu or shopping aisle or nutrition label and be truly empowered to pick up exactly what you know is healthy. And these are all skills our TOTALLY BUF 6 WEEK EDUCATION PROGRAM aims to teach you!
Realistically, you’ll most likely find a strict meal plan helpful at first. It can help you understand what to do. But our goal is that you progress from this. By the end of the 6 week challenge participants have a whole new understanding of nutrition and fitness. Plus the knowledge/tools they need to make long-term changes. That’s not meal plan reliant!
The next round of our TOTALLY BUF 6 WEEK EDUCATION PROGRAM kicks off on Monday February 4th (when summer holidays have officially ended and you’re back into the swing of things a bit more!).