Struggling to think of healthy Summer treat ideas? Well, when it comes to food, the BUF Girls team have a rule – instead of cutting out treats, just look for the healthiest version of whatever it is that you’re craving!
Some of our favourite swaps…
- Reach for lower sugar dark chocolate instead of sugary milk choc
- Swap oily fries for crispy roast potatoes or home-baked sweet potato chips
- Try popcorn instead of salty crisps
- AND in Summer – try making your own healthy and delicious icy poles!
Today we’re going to share 3 EASY healthy Summer treat ideas… DIY icy poles! Because, let’s be honest, you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen on a hot summer’s day – you want 5 minutes of prep for 5 days of YUM!
Before you start creating, you’ll need some moulds to make your treats in, here are some options:
- You could go for fancy eco-friendly ones like the incredible stainless steel popsicle maker from TM Essentials
- Keep it retro with longer, squeezable moulds like the ones from Sunny Life
- Or go budget with silicone moulds from Target for a tiny $1, which is cheaper than buying a single icy pole from the shop!
BUF pro tip for ALL icy pole recipes: If you want to make your icy poles look pretty to serve to guests, dip them in finely chopped pistachios, cacao nibs, shaved chocolate, or desiccated coconut after pulling them out of the moulds, right before serving!
Blissberries & creampops
We love this recipe for its simplicity and creaminess. It contains antioxidant rich berries, which will make your skin glow, provide a fibre boost for happy digestion and give you a little energy boost, plus the coconut cream is full of healthy fats that will satiate your appetite.
- 2 cups of your favourite berries (we love strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or mulberries)
- Half a can of tinned, full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of liquid sweetener (honey, agave, brown rice syrup, or maple syrup, you choose!)
METHOD: Toss the ingredients into your blender, blitz until smooth and pour into your icy pole moulds to set!
Virtuous green smoothie pops
A healthy green smoothie in icy pole form, what’s not to love?
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 400ml can full-fat coconut milk (or swap for Greek yoghurt if preferred!)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh lime juice
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of cacao will put a chocolatey spin on these healthy pops (YUM!), OR a few teaspoons of matcha powder will give the recipe punch and wake you up!
METHOD: Toss these ingredients into your blender, blitz until smooth and pour into your icy pole moulds to set
Summer kiss kiwi & watermelon pops
The most refreshing recipe that looks pretty and is perfect for kids or adults!
- 3 kiwis
- 3-4 cups of cubed watermelon
- First, blend the kiwis until smooth and pour into your moulds until they’re about ¼ full.
- Pop in the freezer for about an hour.
- Next, blend the cubed watermelon until smooth and fill up the rest of your moulds with the juice.
- Freeze for another few hours and you have 2-tier colour/flavour pops that will quench any summer thirst!