I love long weekends and adore chocolate but it can all get a little too much around Easter. Is it really necessary for shops to pack their shelves with Easter eggs and Hot Cross Buns straight after they’ve cleared the green and gold Australia Day themed goodies away?!
It’s a tough time of year to try and say no to chocolate. But saying no is never my intention. My intention is to say yes to the healthier versions of chocolates and treats, and, say yes to ‘soul food’. Thats what maintaining that healthy balance means to me.
For me, ‘soul food’ is the easter eggs collected on the egg hunt with the giggling kids. It’s that gelato on the beach on a hot summer’s day. It’s the glass (or two) of wine and slices of pizza shared with your girlfriends at a long overdue catch up. It’s the sticky date pudding on date night. It’s the cheese and cracker plater at a sunset picnic with the family. It’s the second helpings at Christmas.
Yes, I eat the Cadbury Cream Eggs, Hot Cross Buns and the Ferrero Rocher eggs….. But I also try to be picky with when I eat these…..
….because life is too short to say ‘no thanks’ to the easter egg hunt with the giggling kids and the toasted hot cross buns on easter morning!
Below are three healthy choc snacks and three healthier swaps to give your Easter a yummy boost and help you maintain that healthy balance.
Recipe #1: Coconut Rough
Combine these on a small plate:
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao
- 1 small handful desiccated coconut (to taste)
Now do this:
- Pop in the freezer for 5-10 minutes
- Crack with a spoon and share and enjoy
Recipe #2: Choc Banana Pancakes
Combine these in a bowl:
- 2 eggs
- 1 sugar banana
- 1 heaped teaspoon raw cacao
- 1 heaped teaspoon cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon almond meal OR rolled oats
- 1 big pinch of cinnamon
Now do this:
- Put it all in a blender and whiz it up
- Pour into a lightly greased pan on moderate heat
- Cook like a pancake!
- Serve with fresh berries and a dash of cream or coconut yoghurt
Recipe #3: Hot Cross Bun Flavoured Choccy Eggs
- 20 medjool dates (or see fructose free option below)
- 1/2 up desiccated coconut
- 300g packet macadamias, chopped (or switch for your nut/s of choice)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp mixed spice
- Handful goji berries/slivered almonds for decorating
- 1 bar raw chocolate or 70-85% dark chocolate or raw cacao to suit our taste
- In a high speed blender, add pitted dates (or switch for fructose free ingredients), spices and coconut until combined. Then add in macadamias until consistency desired (should be a consistency that can be rolled into balls without being too ‘gooey’. Add more nuts if the mixture is too wet.
- Roll mixture into ‘egg shapes’ and place in empty egg carton. Place in freezer for approx. 1.5 hours until hardened.
- Melt raw choc/dark chocolate and dip eggs into mix, carefully topping with a goji berry or slivered almond cross, or rolling in coconut pieces – however you like to decorate!
- Transfer to freezer for 1 hour until set.
- Remove from freezer and leave out for 10 mins before tucking in.
- Can also be stored in fridge if preferred – just leave a little longer
Swap #1: Pumpy Jackson Super Chocolate
With less sugar per bar than a carrot and no fake sugars or sugar alcohols either, this vegan friendly choccy block is also high in natural fibre, prebiotics and fats, as well as low allergen. My favourites are Amber Orange and Rocky Pink Salt.
Swap #2: Pana Chocolate
Join the RAW chocolate revolution with the delish Pana Chocolate. The texture is a little different, almost cake-like, the healthy fats and promises of no refined sugar, gluten, soy or dairy are seriously tempting but the best bit? This lush choccy comes in not one but TWELVE unique flavours, from sour cherry & vanilla, to coconut & goji, mint, nuts, or straight-up raw cacao, they’re all a little slice of heaven.
Swap #3: Food to Nourish Wow Cacao Bliss Ball or Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
Choose from individually wrapped bliss balls worthy of an egg hunt, or a scoopable spread with wholefood cred. Both are nutrient dense, organic and free from added flavours, artificial sweeteners and preservatives. If you’re all choc’d out, there are plenty of other flavours to explore too.
Ready to feel Beautiful, Unstoppable and Fearless?
Start with a one-on-one consult and two weeks unlimited access to our timetable of classes for just $25. Find out more here.