As much as the winter rains are always glorious to receive, this cold and gloomy weather can get a little trying hey?
Here’s four simple and yummy recipes (taken from Totally BUF the book) to help you warm up this winter.
- Pho Bowl
- Maple & Dijon Soup
- Vegetable Quinoa Curry
- Carrot Cake Oats
What you’ll need (serves 4)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 2 cups cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini spiralised
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 1 litre vegetable broth (or salt reduced stock)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 star anise (optional)
- 1 lime (to serve)
- 1 handful min leaves (to serve)
What you’ll do
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, water, star anise, cinnamon stick, chilli powder, salt and ginger. Bring to the boil, add the sliced chicken, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. remove the star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Place the carrot and cabbage into the saucepan and cook for another 5 minutes or until the carrot is tender. Turn the heat off.
- Prepare four large bowls to dish up the pho.
- Divide the spiralised zucchini noodles between the bowls, then add a generous scoop of the broth mixture.
- To serve, top with the bean sprouts, mint leaves and a squeeze of lime juice.
Maple and Dijon Pumpkin Soup
What you’ll need
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 kg pumpkin (skin removed + cut into small chunks)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper (to your taste)
- seeds and/or natural yogurt (to serve)
What you’ll do
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot, add onion and sauté until it turns glassy
- Add cumin and stir for 1 minute
- Toss in pumpkin and stock on high heat to bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for approx. 20 minutes or until pumpkin is soft
- Take it off the heat and stir in maple syrup and Dijon mustard, then sit to cool for approximately 10 minutes
- Blend in a food processor, blender or with a stick blender until smooth
- Return to pot and gentle reheat
- Serve with fresh toast, a dollop of yogurt, a sprinkle of cumin and some cracked pepper!
Vegetable Quinoa Curry
What You’ll Need (Serves 4)
- 1 eggplant cut into small cubes
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tbspn curry powder
- 1 tspn ground turmeric
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cashews (to serve)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (to serve)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
What You’ll Do
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the eggplant, carrot, zucchini, onion and garlic for 10-15minutes, or until the vegetables have softened
- Add the curry powder, turmeric and cinnamon and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the tomato, quinoa and 3 cups of water and bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked.
- Before serving, stir through the coconut cream and cashews.
Carrot Cake Oats
What You’ll Need (Serves 1)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 serve BUF Girls vegan protein powder* (grab yours next time you’re at BUF Bayswater!)
- 1 medjool date, chopped
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
What You’ll Do
- In a saucepan, add in the carrot, oats, coconut milk, protein powder, nutmeg and 1.5 teaspoons of the cinnamon. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes until the oats have absorbed the liquid.
- Top with the chopped date and walnuts, and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon.
Instead of cooking in a saucepan, you can simply place all ingredients in a container, mix well and keep in the fridge overnight for chilled overnight oats, and eat them straight up, or pop them in the microwave for a fast, toasty-warm breakfast.
*Of course, you can use any protein powder of your choice for this recipe, but we recommend the BUF Girls brand, not just because it has maximum tummy-friendly, bloat-busting ingredients but also because the vanilla-coconut flavour is great for this recipe! You can grab a tub from us at your next class or purchase online through the BUF Girls website.
READY TO FEEL BEAUTIFUL, UNSTOPPABLE AND FEARLESS?
Start with a one-on-one consult and two weeks unlimited access to our timetable of classes for just $25. Find out more here.
Pin this for later